Sunday, January 21, 2007

Pan's labyrinth

So I went to go see Pan's Labyrinth yesterday. And I was not disappointed.. however, this movie can be viewed as very depressing, or not. It all depends upon the amount of imagination you still have a hold of. I bawled... now this doesn't mean much, I cried both when Spock died in Star Trek 2 ("The needs of the many.... outweigh... the needs... of the one") and when Apollo Creed died in Rocky 4. All be it, I was like 10 when I saw these movies. I don't know I always think of myself as in touch with the more imaginative side, but I took the depressive adult outlook of the movie.

Outside of that, it was more than worth the 11-buck price of admission. It was a beautiful movie, yet had some thoroughly disturbing sequences of violence. It's not often that one combines, hyper realistic violence with their fairy tales, even though the classic fairy tales are often filled with such grotesqueries.

This movie is intense... you love the good guys, hate the bad guys, question the mysterious, smile at the beauty, and cringe at the gore.

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great review. Your insight into the world is astounding. I don't know you, but after reading your blog I think you are the most insightful and sensitive person I have ever encountered. Thank you Bill Kowalczyk, thank you!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger flips said...

Wow phil... you are really fucking funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home